Before the winter arrives, you should prepare your household for cold days. At the same time, it is a perfect moment for conducting regular HVAC maintenance, which will provide you peace of mind.
At the same time, you will encounter another heating season, meaning maintenance is an effective option to keep everything in perfect shape.
By clicking here, you will learn everything about maintaining your AC unit with ease.
That is why you should stay with us to learn the maintenance steps you should take to ensure the best safety and course of action throughout the winter.
Replace Air Filter
An HVAC air filter’s primary goal and purpose are to trap air particles that may affect your cooling and heating equipment. Therefore, if you wish to ensure high efficiency while boosting the air quality, we recommend you remove air pollutants as much as possible.
Remember that the filter will catch fibers, hair, dirt, dust, and other debris as time goes by. In case you neglect regular cleaning, it will clog after a while. It means your air conditioner will work overtime, which will increase your energy bills in the long run.
If you wish to prevent this problem from happening, we recommend replacing a filter after each season. It is the most effective option that will provide you with peace of mind.
How to Prepare a Window Unit AC for Winter?
We can differentiate two fundamental reasons why you should remove a window unit and store it during the cold winter season:
- Deciding to remove the window unit and place it in storage will protect it from harsh and extreme weather conditions due to snow, ice, freezing temperatures, and falling tree limbs.
- At the same time, when you remove a unit, you will get a secure window closure, keeping the outside air from entering your household. As a result, you can prevent excessive heating expenses.
If you wish to understand how to remove a window air conditioner, you should follow these steps:
- Unplug it from the window while removing the adhesive sealant
- The next step includes opening a window and removing the unit
- Use cloth and vacuum cleaner to both inside and outside of the filter and unit
- Store it in a large plastic tub or original box, depending on whether you have it. The main goal is to keep it dry and clean.
- It would be best if you placed it in a dry and warm area during the winter days
That way, you can ensure your AC unit remains in operations until the spring arrives.
How to Prepare a Ductless AC for Winter?
Suppose you have a ductless AC unit. In that case, you have both outdoor and indoor components you should prepare for cold winter days.
It is vital to deal with an outdoor unit first, which will help you ensure the pre-winter maintenance before it starts to get cold.
You should follow these steps that will help you out with the process:
- Turning off the main power source you use is vital to keep it working. At the same time, you should turn it off on the unit itself. It is crucial to keep it cool down properly before you do anything. That way, you can prevent potential problems and ensure overall safety.
- The next step is to clean the outside casing of an outdoor component. Use a cloth to wipe away visible dirt, debris, and dust. You can also find leaf litter around a unit you should handle. Generally, clear all detritus and debris on all sides of the unit to prevent potential problems from happening.
- Check it out for damage signs and concern areas you may deal with before winter days.
- If you own a high-pressure nozzle, you should use it with a hose to clean everything. We recommend you hand-dry the condenser and coils afterward.
- Cover the outside component while leaving a one-foot area for proper air circulation.
- Remove air filters on indoor units, similarly as mentioned above. You should either replace or clean them while replacing them is better.
- Inspect the pipes for dust and leaks while removing debris and dirt to prevent potential issues.
After you finish with everything, we recommend you check out the outdoor component for ice, snow, and other problems as well. That way, you can keep it as straightforward and clean as possible.
If a major weather event happens, you should check it out before and after to avoid potential damage.
How to Prepare a Center Unit AC for Winter?
You cannot remove the central appliance and store it inside like the window AC. However, you can prepare to provide you peace of mind and prevent potential problems.
We recommend you disable the primary electrical circuit, which will deal with the power your unit receives. It is vital to do it for your safety.
At the same time, you do not wish for AC to start working during the winter because it can lead to a chain reaction that will freeze its coils.
We recommend you visit this website: https://betterhousekeeper.com/2020/01/21/burnaby-air-conditioning-installation-and-ac-repair-service-company-maintenance-tips-for-winter/ to learn more about AC maintenance for winter.
The best thing you can do is follow these steps that will help you prepare everything with ease.
- Wipe the outsides of your AC, which will allow you to remove debris, dirt, and dust
- It would be best if you cleared away any ground debris, including branches, leaves, and trash accumulated near the base. Besides, you should handle at least four feet around the unit to prevent further issues.
- In case you have greenery around it, you should prune it, especially if it reaches the unit
- The next step is to use a strong-pressure nozzle combined with a hose and clean fan blades, condenser coils, and other visible areas where debris and dirt can accumulate.
- Visual inspection is another step you should not avoid because checking for signs of damage such as cracks, dents, and other aspects can help you prevent issues and deal with them on time.
- Create a cover and place it over it to protect it from heavy snow and falling debris due to potential thunderstorms and harsh weather conditions. It is vital to leave at least one foot of space at the top and sides to prevent mold growth and ensure overall circulation.